I’m on a serious salad kick this summer. Don’t get me wrong. I love salads all year long, (as evidenced here, here and here) but now that we’re in the thick of summer I can’t get enough. This one’s a new favorite because it’s all veggies, all the time. Yep, broccoli florets, chopped kale and shredded carrots tossed with a creamy, but light, dressing. And it’s good. Really good. So good, in fact, I can report that my Chicken Nugget (AKA my almost 13-year-old daughter) ate it without complaint and – wait for it – ASKED FOR MORE.
Broccoli, Kale & Carrot Salad
If you can boil water (and you know you can) you can get this salad on your table in minutes! Buy your veggies already prepped — broccoli florets already trimmed, bagged chopped kale and shredded carrots — to save a little time. If you want to add some protein toss in chopped grilled chicken or sauteed shrimp but honestly it’s A-OK all on its on. And you can eat the WHOLE thing if you want, with no guilt, because VEGETABLES! So, get to the store, get back in the kitchen and get you some of this Broccoli, Kale & Carrot Salad. It can be what’s for dinner or lunch or even breakfast. It’s round-the-clock good!
Save time (but spend a tad more) by buying your veggies already cut. Trimmed broccoli florets, chopped kale and shredded carrots are available in your produce section.
Place blanched broccoli in a water bath or in a strainer and run it under cold water to cool it.
Pot for Blanching Broccoli
The tools section may contain affiliate links to products we know and love.
- 2 cups broccoli florets, stems trimmed
- 2 cups chopped kale, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots (1 medium carrot)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Blanch broccoli florets until fork tender. Remove broccoli from water and place in a sieve/strainer. Run under cool water until broccoli is no longer hot. Drain, pat dry and set aside.
- Place blanched broccoli, chopped kale and shredded carrots in a large bowl.
- Whisk mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over veggies and toss gently until evenly coated.
Be the first to comment