Nothing says fall more than apples and what better way to put fall’s bounty to good use than making these Candy Coated Caramel Apple Slices? I love a caramel coated Granny Smith apple – Honeycrisp would be equally delicious – but whenever I dig into a caramel apple I always feel like I’ve bitten off more than I can chew. (Pun intended.) These Candy Coated Caramel Apple Slices give me my caramel apple fix without having to commit to eating the whole apple. Problem solved!
Peel, core and slice your apples, pop in a skewer, dip them in melted caramel and roll them into your favorite chopped candy. Chill and you’re done! These make an excellent treat and they’re so simple to make you can get the kids involved. They’re also a wonderful way to get rid of your Halloween candy surplus. So, grab some apples, a bag of caramels – I like Kraft – and your favorite candy and get to dipping!
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 30 Kraft caramels (about 1 bag)
- 2 tablespoons milk or half and half
- assorted chopped candy
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper. Insert wooden skewers or popsicle sticks into each apple slice.
- Place caramels and milk (or half-and-half) in a small pot over medium low heat and melt until caramel is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Arrange each chopped candy on a separate plate.
- Use a paper towel to pat apple slices dry and dip each slice into melted caramel. Shake each slice gently to remove excess caramel.
- Dip caramel apple slice into chopped candy until all sides are covered and place on prepared baking sheet. Continue with remaining apple slices.
- Chill slices for 5-10 minutes until set then serve immediately.