If your snow day menus have been anything like mine — creamy soups, rich pot pies, hearty roasts and every baked good under the sun — it might be time for a Colossal Veggie Salad. If you’re looking to get your healthier eating resolutions back on track, this salad will give you a sizable dose of all the nourishing power foods you need.
The veggies are all well and good on their own but the Avocado Dill Dressing knocks it out of the park! It’s rich, creamy (like edible silk) and full of flavor. You’ll seriously want to put it on everything and you can. It’s simple to make – everybody in the blender — and it also doubles as a fantastic dip for your crudite platter.
Crunch is key in this recipe. The veggies are raw (you can blanch them if you like) but I like ’em crisp. Use a vegetable peeler to shave the carrots for a paper thin result. Chickpeas are my bean of choice but feel free to swap them out for yours.
Eat ALL the veggies! And start with a Colossal Veggie Salad.
Blanch your veggies to cut down on the crunch.
Use a vegetable peeler for paper thin veggies.
Tossing a Salad
- 4 cups salad greens, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 cup thinly-sliced carrots
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup thinly-sliced red onion
- 1 yellow, red or orange bell pepper, diced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 medium shallot, halved
- 2 ripe avocados, seeded
- 2 tablespoon packed fresh dill leaves
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl or arrange on a platter. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss the salad with a 2-3 tablespoons of dressing or serve dressing on the side.