I may need a protective detail after publishing this post. I’m about to start some mess with my crab cake recipe. You see, I live in Maryland (home of the Blue Crab) and I make crab cakes (a lot)…wait for it…without Old Bay Seasoning. (Insert gasp and pearl-clutching here). This is one reason I don’t call my crab cakes “Maryland” crab cakes, which are known for a generous sprinkling of the Old Bay.
I have no beef with Old Bay – I don’t make my Low Country Boil without it – but I like my crab cakes to taste primarily of crab. I add a few other ingredients to enhance their flavor but when you eat one of Chef Danielle’s crab cakes, you’ll know you’re eating crab cakes. So, while I may lose my state residency, I stand by these mouth-watering crab cakes!
These crab cakes are the highlight of our Mother’s Day Menu. They’re light, flavorful and simple to prepare. Serve them with our Blender Hollandaise Sauce and Asparagus & Red Pepper Slaw for a special meal Mom will love. I got to make these on national tv on the Mr. Food syndicated cooking show a while back. You can check the video here:
TIPS FOR MAKING GREAT CRAB CAKES:
1. Choose a good quality, lump crab meat. Finer crab meat will make tastier crab cakes.
2. Mix crab meat gently and as little as possible. Lots of stirring or tossing with other ingredients can break apart your lumps.
3. The less filler you add to your crab cakes, the more delicate they’ll be. Chilling them for 20-30 minutes before sautéing will help them maintain their shape when cooked.
4. Think outside the breadbox. Plain breadcrumbs aren’t your only option. Experiment with different types of breads and breadcrumbs like Panko – Japanese bread crumbs, cracker crumbs, or cereal crumbs.
5. Crab meat pairs well with many flavors. Add a tablespoon or two of chopped fresh herbs, like thyme or parsley, a little lemon zest or minced onion or garlic to add additional flavor.
6. Use an ice cream scoop to shape your crab cakes. If they’re all the same size, they’ll cook in the same amount of time.
The tools section may contain affiliate links to products we know and love.