Finally! Spring has arrived! It’s been a cold-cold winter and my table is beyond ready to enjoy the spectacular spring produce in a bevy of mouthwatering salad. I love just about any kind of salad but there’s something a ripe, juicy cantaloupe that says, “Hey, Spring! How you doing?”
I want to put cantaloupe on everything at this time of year. I love it wrapped in prosciutto on a charcuterie board. I love cutting them in half and eating it directly from its shell and I absolutely love a juicy cantaloupe salad. Spring has me ALL cantaloupe ALL the time. When it’s ripe, it’s ripe!
This recipe has so many of my favorite things – raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens. Wait. Not those favorite things but some of my favorite foods to add to a salad. First, spinach, a tastier and healthier alternative to iceberg lettuce; fresh blackberries though you could toss in a hand full of fresh blueberries, as well. Add a little goat cheese and nuts and you have a wonderful salad, ready to eat!
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups cubed canteloupe or use a melon baller to create rounds
- 1 pint blackberries, rinsed and patted dry
- ¼ cup toasted pecans, finely chopped
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare the dressing:
- Whisk the vinegar, honey and olive oil together in a small bowl. Season the dressing with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Toss the greens, cantaloupe and blackberries together in a large bowl. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss until evenly coated. Arrange salad on plates and sprinkle with pecans and goat cheese. Serve immediately.