We’ve teamed up with our friends at KidCulture.wordpress.com to bring you Christmas cookies from around the world! I’ll share the recipes and you can learn more about how these cookies came to be holiday favorites at Kidculture.wordpress.com!
Belgian Christmas Cookies are buttery bar cookies sprinkled with almonds, cinnamon and colorful sprinkles. Learn more about them at www.kidculture.wordpress.com.
|Belgian Christmas Cookies — Christmas Cookies from Around the World||
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon red sugar sprinkles
- 1/2 teaspoon green sugar sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and almond extract, then gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing until evenly mixed.
- Spread the dough evenly into a 9-inch square pan sprayed lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
- Stir the almonds and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Sprinkle over batter, then sprinkle with the red and green sugar sprinkles. Bake until brown and firm, about 25 minutes.
Makes about 9 bar cookies.
Sift dry ingredients together to ensure they’re well mixed. Sifting will also make sure your cookies aren’t too dense.
Start with butter and eggs at room temperature for easier mixing.
Creaming Butter & Sugar