For me, green tomatoes are a one-trick pony. They must (yes, must) be dredged in cornmeal, fried to a golden, brown crisp and served with a zippy remoulade. That’s it. No mas. I know that’s a pretty narrow-minded point of view, especially for a chef, but they’re just so darn good I refuse to sacrifice even one to try any other way.
Green tomatoes are unripened tomatoes plucked from the vine before they’ve had a chance to fully ripen and turn red. They’re not the same as the tomato variety that’s naturally green in color, even when ripe. Green tomatoes should be firm, with just the slightest bit of give when squeezed. Small, rock-hard green tomatoes will be tasteless or bitter.
You’ll find Vitamin C, fiber, and calcium in green tomatoes. I hear you can pickle them, grill them or make green tomato mincemeat. You’ll have to let me know how that goes. For me, I’m sticking with these Lemon Thyme Fried Green Tomatoes with Lemon Remoulade.
Choose tomatoes that are firm, with a little give when squeezed.
Cut tomatoes 1/4-inch thick. Thicker and they won’t cook properly. Thinner and they won’t hold up in the oil.
Small Bowls or Plates
Baking Sheet (line with paper towels)
My green tomatoes were grown at Miller Farms in Clinton, Maryland.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, pasted with a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon worcester sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 large, firm green tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Panko Japanese bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- Stir all ingredients together until well-mixed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices.
- Stir Panko, cornmeal, lemon zest and thyme together in a shallow bowl or plate.
- Place lightly-beaten egg in a shallow bowl.
- Season tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Dip tomato slices in beaten egg, then dredge them in the Panko-cornmeal mix.
- Add breaded tomatoes to the hot oil and cook until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove tomatoes from oil with a slotted spoon and set on paper towel-lined tray to drain.
- Serve with remoulade.