Choosing fresh fish to buy can be tricky if you don’t know what to look for. Here are a few tips to make your next trip to the fish market a breeze.
Tips for Choosing Fresh Fish
1. Fish shouldn’t stink. I know that’s counter to what we expect, but if fish has a strong, unpleasant odor, don’t buy it. It should smell like the sea.
2. If you’re buying whole fish, the eyes should be bright and clear. Cloudy or dull eyes are a clear sign the fish is far from fresh.
3. Fresh-from-the-water fish should not be slimy at all and when touched gently, the flesh should spring back into place. Your finger should not leave a dent or mark that sticks around.
4. The gills on fresh fish are bright red. Stay clear of gills that are dark or brown.
5. If you buy fish that’s been frozen, don’t refreeze it. Cook it no more than 48 hours after thawing.
Once you’ve chosen the best fish, try one of my favorite fish recipes: