This salad is so awesome it just might save your life. Seriously, it’s super. Super tasty. Super simple and chock full of super foods – beans.
I call it my Super Hero Salad (or Black Bean Chickpea Salad), not because it’s high in fiber and protein and low in fat, or because it’s laden with beans that have been proven to lower cholesterol and fight heart disease, but because it’s on the short list of dishes my 10-year-old kid LOVES.
It’s super easy to make. Spend a few minutes choppping then it’s everyone in the bowl for a good tossing. It’s also super easy on your wallet because there’s not much cheaper than canned beans. It’s also versatile. Don’t have chickpeas or black beans? No problem! You can swap out your favorite beans in their place – Cannellini, Northern White, Light or Dark Kidney Beans.
So, short story shorter, if you make and eat this salad it will save you time, money and possibly your health.
Have I told you how super this salad is?
Rinse and dry the beans thoroughly. Excess water will give you a soggy salad.
Make this salad ahead of time. The longer it sits, the more flavor it will have.
Making a Vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- /12 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- Combine all dressing ingredients, except olive oil, in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil until dressing is emulsified.
- Add salad ingredients to bowl with dressing and toss until salad is evenly coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.