‘Sup? How you doing? When we first met, we weren’t ready for each other. You were soft and overcooked and bitter.
I was six.
You were sophisticated and strong, with far too big a personality than my Pop Tart palate could stand.
I was six.
Now, things have changed. I’m a grown a$$ woman and I’m ready to step boldly into the world of alternative salad greens and embrace you. I want to make chips with you. I want to make salad with you. This salad. Kale Salad with Cranberries and Almonds.
I want to breathe in your fiber, vitamins A, C and K. My dreams are filled with you and your omega fatty acids, calcium, magnesium, iron and your antioxidants, all making me strong and saving my life.
Oh, kale. I’m so glad you waited for me and that I was smart enough to give you another try. You were worth the wait.
Save time by buying chopped kale.
Get rid of any large, woody kale stems.
Slivered almonds will soften quickly. Add them just before serving so they’re at their crunchy best.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmiggiano Reggiano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups packed kale, finely chopped, rinsed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- Prepare Dressing:
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a small business. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss until greens are evenly coated. Let salad sit for 15 minutes before serving.