Tuna salad on a buttery cracker has always been a favorite low-key treat and I love-love-love an appetizer or snack you can make in minutes. This Spicy Asian Tuna Salad gives me both in one (or two) delicious bites.
Spicy Asian Tuna Salad
Tired of plain, old tuna and crackers? Adding a handful of Asian pantry ingredients upgrades your everyday tuna salad, turning it into a quick, finger food fancy enough to share with guests. I like it on my favorite whole wheat crackers but you can serve this up on lettuce cups, toast points or cucumber cups.
When I imagined this recipe I planned to use I use a Thai red chili for a little kick. You know those teeny, tiny red peppers that look too cute to eat? Well, the smaller peppers are, the hotter they are, and half of one minced into the smallest mince I ever minced was Painfully. Hot. (to me) I mean eyes watering, nose running, questioning why I’d ever even bothered being born hot. I have only one hard and fast rule in my kitchen and it’s a simple one — my food may NOT hurt me. If that’s Thai chili was a person I’d have it arrested for assault.
I still felt like my salad was missing a little heat so me and my wimpy tastebuds opted for a Fresno pepper instead. Spicy, but not too aggressive, and the bright red skin gave my tuna salad a much-needed pop. (That’s the food-stylist in me peeking through. Food has to not only taste good, but look good, too.) If you can’t get your hands on a Fresno pepper, a jalapeño is also tasty.
Drain your tuna thoroughly! Excess water will create a soggy salad and soggy crackers.
Mince your chili pepper well. Biting into a big chunk of spicy is no fun.
Stirring. You got this.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 jalapeno or Fresno pepper, minced
- 1 green onion, sliced (reserve about 1-inch of green for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 5-oz cans tuna in water, drained
- about 18 of your favorite crackers
- Whisk everything except the tuna together in a medium bowl. Add tuna and stir until well-mixed. Mound a heaping teaspoon of tuna salad onto each cracker. Garnish with reserved sliced green onion tops and serve immediately.