If you’re like me and a million other folks, you probably made a vow to embrace a healthier lifestyle in 2012. Exercise, fewer sugary treats and a healthier diet overall may be on your to do list and choosing the right cooking technique can help you keep unwanted pounds at bay. The one thing they have in common? They highlight and enhance flavor without extra fat or calories.
1. Grilling – Small, indoor grills and grill pans make it easy to grill year-round. Grilling allows oil to drain away from food as it cooks.
Recipe: Grilled Kielbasa with Peppers and Onions
Use turkey kielbasa for a lower calorie meal.
2. Steaming – Steaming is a simple and quiick way to get healthy food on the table quickly.
3. Sautéing/Stir-Frying – Both of these techniques cook foods at high temperatures with minimal oil.
4. Roasting/Baking: Meat, poultry, seafood or vegetables can all be roasted or baked. Marinate before cooking or baste frequently with pan juices to add flavor and maintain moisture.
5. Poaching – Choose a flavorful poaching liquid for delicious poached foods.
Recipe: Simple Poached Egg