My daughter loves baking cookies and I love the fact that this recipe actually contains a vegetable. I know it’s still a cookie but it seems far less decadent knowing that those bits of shredded carrot are in there. The cookies bake up like tiny cakes, moist and delicious with a classic cream cheese frosting in the center. Set them out for your Halloween party or enjoy them as an after-school snack.
Cooking with kids can be tricky, but if you plan ahead (and prepare for the mess) you can create really special memories.Here are a few tips to make cooking with your kids a breeze.
Identify tasks fit for little hands and fingers (like cutting soft ingredients with butter or plastic knives or pouring ingredients into the mixing bowl) before you start so you’ll know exactly how your young sous chefs can help.
Older kids can get a cooking and math lesson in one by measuring ingredients.
Small ice cream scoops make shaping uniform cookies a breeze, even for kids.
Assembling these carrot cake sandwich cookies is also a kid-friendly task.
|Carrot Cake Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting|| || |
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 stick (4-ounces) unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup grated carrots
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces butter, softened
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you like your frosting)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk the flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar together in the bowl of a mixer until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until just blended. Gradually add the dry ingredients, carrots then stir in the nuts.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons onto prepared baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown and firm when touched lightly in the center.
- Make Frosting: Combine cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a mixer ad mix until fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar, then the vanilla.
- Assemble the Cookies: Divide the frosting evenly among half the cookies. Top with the remaining cookies and serve.