Oh, waffles. How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
1. I love all your nooks and crannies, perfect for cradling fruit and syrup and whipped cream.
2. I love that I can whip up a batch and freeze them for a speedy breakfast (or lunch or dinner or snack).
3. I love it when you’re crisp on the outside yet still light and tender inside.
Light, crisp waffles are my favorite kind of waffle. I love to hear that telltale crunch when I take a bite of one and it’s still crisp after I’ve drowned it in maple syrup or berries and whipped cream or if I’m feeling crazy, all three.
How to Make Crisp Waffles
There are three things you need to make crisp waffles at home — cake flour, vegetable oil and whipped egg whites.
Cake flour is all purpose flour with cornstarch added. It creates waffles that are crisp on the outside, tender inside. Using vegetable oil instead of melted butter – once my go-to for homemade waffle batter – makes your waffles light and airy, not dense. Folding whipped egg whites into the batter also keeps the waffles light and fluffy.
Want waffles for breakfast tomorrow morning? You can make your batter the night before and keep it covered in the fridge overnight. For an easy breakfast on busy school mornings, place waffles on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze. Once they’re frozen, place the waffles in a plastic resealable freezer bag. Use a straw to suck out excess air and seal the bag tightly. When you’re ready to nosh, pop a waffle in a toaster (if your toaster’s wide enough to accommodate a waffle) or in a toaster oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until warm and crisp, about 10-15 minutes and you’re ready, set, waffle!
Be sure to whip your egg whites to stiff peaks. This will keep your waffles nice and light.
Cook waffles until they’re golden brown and crisp, about 5 minutes.
Whipping Egg Whites
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, separated
- Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Place a baking sheet in oven and preheat oven to 200F or warm.
- Whisk cake flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt together in a medium bowl. Whisk in milk, vegetable oil, vanilla and egg yolks.
- Place egg whites in a separate medium bowl and whip to soft peaks. Add 1 tablespoon sugar to whites and continue whipping to stiff peaks.
- Fold whites into batter until no lumps or streaks remain.
- Spray waffle iron with nonstick spray. Add batter to waffle iron, according to manufacturer's directions, and cook until waffles are golden brown and crisp. Remove waffles from iron and place on baking sheet in oven. Repeat until all batter is cooked.